Graphscad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graphscad

Graphscad : The Graphic Nodal Editor for OpenScad

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisLT

Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed Empty
PostSubject: Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed   Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jan - 13:41

OpenSCAD draws 2D objects as though they are 1 unit thick. I find this very useful, both when developing a model and for adding annotations to models.
GraphSCAD does not display 2D objects. It easily could, so I guess this is a design decision. Could it be explained, please?

Also, the 2D transforms, such as Rotate2D, assume the 2D object is in the XY plane. It is true that they are created in that plane but OpenSCAD allows them to be rotated into any plane. I find this very useful when, for instance, adding 2D text annotations to a 3D model. I have debated it on an OpenSCAD forum and I believe there are some who don't agree with the value of this, and/or say that it may be removed from future versions.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed   Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed Icon_minitimeTue 7 Feb - 0:56

Hi Chris. I will check if it's possible. I was using a 2015 version of openscad (2017 link is at bottom of page ) and some 2D nodes were invisibles without extrusion. And using 3D rotations on 2D object was giving error messages.
Back to top Go down
https://graphscad.forumotion.com
ChrisLT

PostSubject: Re: Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed   Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed Icon_minitimeWed 8 Feb - 1:36

I am using OpenSCAD 2015.03-1 on Ubuntu 16.04.
It displays 2D objects as though their Z thickness is 1 unit.
If I use GraphSCAD to create a model I can force display of 2D objects by adding calls in OpenSCAD, so I don't see why GraphSCAD couldn't do the same.

OpenSCAD happily displays 2D objects with F5 preview after translation or rotation into any other plane, although I am aware that some people think you should not do this. I note that F6 render displays rotated/translated 2D objects by showing only their projections onto the XY plane. Also, LinearExtrude of a rotated or translated 2D object extrudes its projection upwards from Z=0.
I don't see why SketchUp behaviour couldn't be used in OpenSCAD - any plane object can be extruded. But, as long as OpenSCAD doesn't do that, we're stuck with its actual behaviour.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed   Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed Icon_minitimeWed 8 Feb - 11:30

Bug fixed. 2D Objects are now visibles. Will be available in next version (1.0.4)
Back to top Go down
https://graphscad.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed   Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nodes of type Object2d are not displayed
Page 1 of 1